Elf on the Shelf Ideas Last Minute – Don’t Panic!
If you woke up and realized you forgot to move the Elf🤦🏾♀️, you might be in full-on panic mode right now. We’ve got over 50 elf on the shelf ideas last minute for you to choose from!
But first, realize this happens to the best of us. Perhaps you’re the only one up right now, so you’ve got time to move him.
But if the kids happen to already be up, don’t worry; we’ve organized our list by location in your home.
Many of the items used to create the perfect hiding spot for your Elf are probably things you have in your home, so no need to buy something special for this tradition. Just review the list below so you can get your Elf in a new position–quickly.
If this is the first year you’re introducing the Elf on the Shelf tradition to your family, here are some things to know:
- Children shouldn’t touch the Scout Elves or they’ll lose their Christmas magic.
- Scout Elves listen well, but they never speak to humans.
- Scout Elves are always nice, often clever and humorous, but never cruel.
- After reporting back to Santa at the North Pole each night, Scout Elves are found the next morning in a new spot in the home.
- Scout Elves are adopted, not bought.
Elf on the Shelf Ideas Last Minute – Kitchen
Our first room featured for Elf on the Shelf ideas last minute is the kitchen. The kitchen is full of great hiding places for your elf. You can position the elf squarely on your counter or tucked away in a corner in the ultimate hiding spot. Best of all, almost all of the items listed below are probably sitting on a shelf in your pantry.
1. Elf makes a snow angel out of flour or salt.
2. Elf leaves a Christmas message made out of candy.
3. Elf is eating a snack (cheese/veggie/fruit) in the fridge.
4. Elf washes the dishes.
5. Elf gets into a cereal box.
6. Elf leaves a recipe for Santa cookies.
7. Elf feeds the pets.
8. Elf makes a snowman out of powdered donuts (‘buttons’/’eyes’ are Hershey’s kisses; ‘nose’ is a gumdrop; ‘mouth’ is a Twizzler piece).
9. Elf makes a grocery list for Christmas dinner.
10. Elf is in a coffee mug with spilled hot cocoa powder and marshmallows on the counter.
11. Elf builds a (small!) marshmallow igloo.
12. Elf is next to a rolling pin which is in front of flour on the counter with a cookie cutter on top.
13. Elf draws silly faces on bananas.
14. Elf is fishing in a bowl filled with Goldfish crackers.
Elf on the Shelf Ideas Last Minute – Garage
Most people wouldn’t think of hiding their Elf in the garage, but there are a couple of easy hiding places there too!
15. Elf is in the carseat/booster seat with his seatbelt on.
16. Elf is weightlifting! (‘barbell’ is a piece of straw with marshmallows on either end).
Elf on the Shelf Ideas Last Minute – Family Room
It won’t come as a surprise to have your Elf hiding in the family room, but what will be surprising is what the Elf is doing.
17. Elf takes a piece of candy from the Advent Calendar.
18. Elf is sleeping on the mantel between stockings.
19. Elf watches ‘Elf’ on TV.
20. Elf wraps presents using scissors, tape, bow, and a bit of wrapping paper.
21. Elf gets wrapped up with tape trying to wrap a present.
22. Elf is hiding in the Christmas tree with a note.
23. Elf is playing cards (Memory game) with other toys.
Elf on the Shelf Ideas Last Minute – Playroom
With young children, the playroom might be the most entertaining place to find the Elf. Imagine how funny it will be for them to see the Elf playing with their toys!
24. Elf is in the playroom coloring.
25. Elf is riding in a toy car.
26. Elf is having a party with friends (stuffed animals; dolls).
27. Elf dresses up as a favorite character.
28. Elf goes rock climbing (‘rocks’ are simply gift bows on the wall).
29. Elf goes mini-golfing using a candy cane ‘club’ and a marshmallow ‘golf ball’.
30. Elf is in a Magnatiles castle.
31. Elf is having tea with his toy friends.
Elf on the Shelf Ideas Last Minute – Bathroom
If you’re potty training your child, hiding your elf here is even greater motivation to for them to visit the bathroom.
32. Elf takes a nap in the tissue box.
33. Elf unravels the toilet paper.
34. Elf writes a message on the mirror in lipstick.
35. Elf is washing his hands (with soap!).
36. Elf brushes teeth.
37. Elf has a snowball fight with cotton balls.
38. Elf is taking a bubble bath in a bowl with marshmallows.
39. Elf is hanging from the shower faucet and rubber snakes are underneath him.
Elf on the Shelf Ideas Last Minute – Bedroom
There are a handful of hiding spots for the Elf in your (or your kid’s) bedroom.
40. Elf goes for a spin on the ceiling fan (hanging onto the fan pulley).
41. Elf reads a book.
42. Elf is hanging from a lamp shade.
Elf on the Shelf Ideas Last Minute – Entryway
Your kids may bypass your entryway looking for the Elf in other rooms of your home. Rookie mistake!
43. Elf is zip-lining on a candy cane.
44. Elf makes a trail of shoes to the Christmas tree.
45. Elf is fishing in an aquarium.
46. Elf rolls down the stairs in a toilet paper tube (unraveling toilet paper behind him).
Elf on the Shelf Ideas Last Minute – Front Yard
If you live in a cold climate and get snow, the front yard makes an excellent hiding place for your Elf.
47. Elf delivers a note from the North Pole in the mailbox.
48. Elf has decorated a mini Christmas tree.
49. Elf is hiding in a plant.
50. Elf has a watering can and is watering ‘seeds’ (tic tacs)
Elf on the Shelf Ideas Last Minute – Laundry Room
If your kids never step foot in the laundry room, this is the perfect place to hide the Elf.
51. Elf makes snow angels out of powder laundry detergent.
Final Thoughts on Last Minute Elf on the Shelf Ideas
If you haven’t had a chance to read up on the history of the Elf on the Shelf, click here.
The main thing for you to remember is to be consistent; try to remember to move the elf each night. You’re busy and there are a lot of thoughts running through your head.
Make it easy on yourself by adding a reminder on your Alexa or setting up a special elf alarm on your phone. But in the event that you forget, you’ve got a ton of quick options to choose from. Have fun and happy hiding!